Thursday, December 11, 2008

Final Project


Keeping those teeth clean is a very important part of health care and one that is often overlooked in the field of health care. The number of dentists in Africa is staggeringly low. As the field of dentistry is in my future I decided the perfect way for me to help Africa is to do dental work. While all health care in Africa has a severe problem dentistry is often overlooked because not many of the severe diseases that affect Africans are related to the oral cavity. This has resulted in a severe budget deficit allocation in areas related to oral health care.


While I have not yet been accepted to dental school, upon my travels to the schools, I have seen the active opportunities the students take to help those in need. Many of these organizations travel to places all across the world to help the under served and educate people on the benefits of clean teeth. One of the organizations that has stuck out to me is the Christian Dental Society, which is annually involved in trips to countries to provide dental health care. Upon my entrance into dental school I plan to join the organization and explain to them my beliefs and my knowledge about Africa and how I feel we can help.

Also as a dentist, the many I make which will probably be more than I need, I am going to donate to particular non-governmental organizations. The organization that I found that had me most intrigued was the Africa Foundation. Africa Foundation is an organization that seeks to address key problems that Africa face today. These things include health care, education, and Income generating programs. The organization seeks to help the continent in many ways by facing these issues, but most importantly they focus on enabling Africans to help themselves. By training Africans to be more independent that set in a cycle of growth and prosperity.

No comments: