Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Boring...



While I did feel that King Leopold's Ghost was a little to gruesome I was able to find it interesting. The author of Heart of Darkness had a very hard time keeping me interested. While there is a stance made in the book I seemed to easily get lost with the characters and their actual feelings. Anyways the book did not seem to be as interesting as King Leopold's Ghost and I was very disappointed in the characterization of what went on in Africa.


I did enjoy when Marlow went to go see the doctor I thought the questions he was asking him were quite humorous. Marlow was also able to pick up on something out of the ordinary was going on when he was getting ready to leave. It seemed to be a sort of sign about what he was about to experience. He was also able to recall what the doctor had said when he was away in Africa as he saw some of the atrocities at hand.


The story did make me begin to thank that what people experienced while in Africa would eventually have an effect on them no matter how much they tried to deny it did not bother them. And those who tried to fight it the longest it tore at them the most later on.

I also thought there was a unique contrast made when Marlow was describing the Thames there was a clear distinction about the beauty they were currently experiencing compared to what he experienced in Africa. The beauty vs. the beast.

1 comment:

Peter Larr said...

You're the second person to mention the doctor, I must have glossed over that section too fast, I need to go back and read it again.