Wednesday, September 24, 2008

History???!!






King Leopolds Ghost was a very different book from what I am used to reading as it was more of a text book as a novel. While I found some of the information in the book a little redundant, it was still a very compelling story. The book was a very appauling story of the atrocity that mankind is capable of inflicting on society. It really got me, as I am sure it did a lot of people, that something like this could just be passed over in the context of history. But it also got me thinking about what other significant events in the history of the world that have simply been left out or glazed over. I am sure there are many of these types of events that have occurred throughout history that many of us are unaware of especially in all the nations throughout the history of the world.


Even though these events are eye-opening and very appalling statements about human society it is good to know that ther eare still good people in the world to stand up and bring attention to these events. Although horrible people often are able to exploit others and often disguise their intentions, the good people are able to expose and overcome villains. I also enjoyed the irony that one of the people most important in the raising awareness of what was going on in Africa was a black manand I am glad he was succesful in doing so.


I found it quite funny the statues and coins that were made in honor of someone like Leopold. It seemed to me like there should be asterisks at the bottom of these monuments saying how much of a very mean person (P.C. term) this guy really was.

2 comments:

Peter Larr said...

haha yeah, this was for sure a history book, that's what we call novels. Pretty sure, as long as you build a lot of civilian/community projects you get put on money. Which means, I need to build some things so I can be on the next $1 coin.

darius said...

Help sponsor some civic works and position yourself as a great humanitarian and you'll be on that coin in no time. We'll call it "the Larr."